Random Tales of Chaos and Joy

A whole bunch of nothing and sometimes something.

Sunday, December 31, 2006

My New Years Resolution(s)

My New Years Resolution is to find BALANCE. I have so many ideas swimming in my head all the time, so many things I want to do and acheive and fix and well, you know, too many things. I can't expect to suddenly become perfect in 2007 (though it would be nice!), and I don't know what kind of obstacles I might face this year, but at least I can work on what I can work on.

1. Okay, this is on everyone's list, but I want to change my eating and exercising habits. I have an online support group and I want to start posting my daily food and exercise diaries on there again, as I have had great success in the past. Eating healthy foods and exercising is not only helpful for my figure, but it's a boost to my marriage. Last time we both "dieted," Andy and I had so much fun with our little weight-loss hobby, and we had more energy and felt better, and we saved so much money not eating out. That's on our "resolution" list, too. Not to eat out for the entire month of January.

2. I want to start cooking more and learning new recipes, with the help of Food Network, of course. ;-) My goal is to entertain and cook for other people at least once a month, ideally including people from my neighborhood or friends I don't see very often. Not just church friends who I see all the time.

3. I want to put Cole in his own bed. The family bed was working for us, for the most part, but lately he's been waking more often and I'm tired of going to bed at 8 or 9 just to get enough sleep. I miss my hubby. So if Ferber is the only way, then I'm trying it. Tomorrow.

4. I want to actually stay within my grocery budget. It never, ever, ever happens! But if I could get organized enough to stock up on staples and take advantage of sales, I might be able to come up with recipes that require things I already have. Taking 3 or 4 kids to the grocery store 3 times a week is just NOT working for me, lol.

5. I want to keep up with my current to-do list on my online housekeeping forum. I have been doing this with much success, and I'll be adding "read Bible" and "exercise" to those lists. Exercise might not start with gusto until Feb. 1, when my gym membership resumes.

6. I'd like to finish some house projects in 2007. The mural behind Audrey's bed, the boys' dresser, the basement safari mural. And I'd really like to find a way to make my artwork business profitable.

7. Speaking of that, I'd like to find a way to get all my artwork sold and get rid of lots of stuff so that our garage becomes available for other things, like cars.

8. I'd like to implement a lasting and effective schedule for my kids, using charts and time-outs, Super-Nanny style. This is a lofty goal for me, but it would be nice if I could get more consistent and credible in my discipline measures. I have lots of ideas for that, but I really have to DO it. I want to continue our family game times and meals together, because that is such a major boost to all of us and it really helps the kids' behavior.

9. I want to grow in my prayer life and Bible reading, and learn much from my Bible Studies, so that when my plans get de-railed, unexpected events sideswipe us, or everyday life makes me forget, I have a wonderful, powerful, merciful God to pick me up and brush me off, and in turn, help me reach out and comfort and encourage others.

So that's a lot of stuff. I think I have more, too, but I'll just stick with this list for now, as it is more than enough to keep me busy. All in all, it's just one resolution - to find Balance. To figure out how to arrange my priorities and get things done in a somewhat orderly manner, to the glory of God. Impossible? Maybe. But the bible says that nothing is impossible, so what the heck. So here's to long lists!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're way ahead of me--you actually have a list written down. I am in a major mommy slump and can't decide where to start. I have so many things I want to work on, but I feel like simply keeping everyone fed and in clean clothes is more than I can coordinate in a happy, peaceful manner most of the time.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Well, that's a good start! Write that down!

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home