Random Tales of Chaos and Joy

A whole bunch of nothing and sometimes something.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Great Birthday Cake Fiasco

So, full disclosure on this post today.

I admit that I am no Martha Stewart. My bed doesn't have hospital corners (nor is it actually even made), I don't serve dinner on fine china with cloth napkins, I let paperwork pile up on the counter, I can never keep up with laundry and my kids have been known to go long periods with gunk all over their face from lunch. That's okay, I accept myself that way. I have lots of other, more positive, attributes, and my family likes me okay.

Still, you'd think I'd be able to make a simple birthday cake for Cole's fourth birthday. I mean, it was from a mix, not from scratch, so there's no way I could mess that up, right?

Um, wrong.

I tried to be fancy. I had my fancy-shmancy stoneware from Pampered Chef so I could bake my perfectly flat cake. Pulled the cake out, waited for it to cool, and cut it into thirds. Started frosting..realized maybe it's not quite cool enough, as the knife was tearing the cake. Plugged away anyhow, because that's how we impatient non-MarthaStewart types do things, and tried lifting the second layer on top of the bottom piece. that's when everything went downhill, and before I knew it, I had this:

Photobucket

Yes, folks, Martha Stewart I ain't.

I was able to salvage a decent-looking piece that was big enough to hold four candles:

Photobucket



Photobucket

I will say, in my defense, that while the cake looked like, well, that, it was a very tasty cake pile, and I have pictures to prove it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

In fact, during the writing of this entry, I was enjoying a very nutritious bowl of cake.

At any rate, Cole had a great birthday. He has been eagerly anticipating being FOUR for so long, and now he's finally there. Of course, he was disappointed to discover that he didn't magically appear in a classroom that very day, since, apparently, you go to school when you are four. I think that we found a good compromise, though, and instead spent the day at Jungle Java with his best buddy (and partner in crime), and IKEA later for an ice cream cone.

I will leave you today with a picture of my delightful four-year-old:


Photobucket

2 Comments:

Anonymous Megan R said...

You really should blog more often! I enjoy reading your writing. :-)

Happy Birthday, Cole!

(I made a two-layer round cake for John's 40th birthday when we, you know, invited family and non-family to come and celebrate. The cakes were not flat, and the top one split into fourths after I frosted it. Fortunately my MIL brought a German sweet chocolate cake, which was what John wanted anyway, and my kids, who wanted my yellow cake, didn't care that it was split as long as it had sprinkles on it.) It's so nice to be old enough now to laugh instead of cry when these things happen. :-)

6:36 AM  
Blogger Kristen York said...

To save the day (or save face) next time mix the frosting in and make cake balls... oh so wonderful, and sweet and gooey and whenever I've had them at gatherings, people ooh and aah over them. http://cookinginpajamas.onsugar.com/New-Food-TrendCake-Balls-3385456

But even if you don't everyone knows that the gooier the better... you were perfect for meeting the needs of your family.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home