Random Tales of Chaos and Joy

A whole bunch of nothing and sometimes something.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Boyz R Gross

So, I have a few boys. When I imagined my life as a mom of boys, I always expected - even welcomed - the energy and rambunctiousness that so characterizes the male species. I was (and am) game for a good wrestling match or a good splash in a mud puddle. I actually sort of like the rough-and-tough stuff. I'm glad that my youngest is so full of all that.

What I did not imagine - though I should have since I do have a brother and a husband - was that boys are ewwwww! My seven-year-old is displaying all those qualities I'd somehow forgotten were also characteristic of boys. The Gross Factor. Wesley is forever getting tattled on for wiping his boogers on someone, spitting, scratching himself, licking someone's arm or something else disgusting. I have to scold him constantly for belching loud enough to make my paint brush vibrate. There is no dainty "excuse-me" to punctuate all this grossness as one might expect from a girl, there is just the constant reminders from mom to please cover your mouth and say excuse me and please do not spit on your sister.

A conversation that happened the other day:

Mom! Guess how far away I was from the toilet when I peed and I STILL MADE IT IN?

Um.

I was OUTSIDE THE DOOR! IN THE HALLWAY!

Okay, Wesley, here's the Germ-X wipes, please go clean what didn't make it in.

...... A couple of hours later:

Mom, I have to go, do you want to watch this time?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen York said...

With a boy on the way, I can't wait until the eww factor shows up. For now I will just deal with the boogies that Belle is eating. At least she has stopped requesting her sisters when I say the baby needs her nose blown

8:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Aaaahhhh! Is this what my future holds? I guess I should expect it...he's (G1) already facinated with poop and the amount that he is able to produce...and to think that when I dreamed of being a mommy I dreamed of dresses and bows (for girls) and if I had a little boy he would play nicely in a mud puddle...hmmm! So much for dreams?! (But I truly love and adore my boys)

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, sounds like a lot of my students. My method? I make them get up and go wash their hands each and every time I catch them picking their nose. It's seems to be working-- it's happening a lot less. There are just a few of those kids that just can't resist the temptation. I blame the parents. Hee hee. Also, if you're feeling up for it, go to Enchantedlearning.com and find a fun project on germs. I did that when I nannied and it really helped the kids understand germs and how gross some of their behaviors are. It really worked for them! When in doubt, make it fun and/or come up with a song. :)

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home