Random Tales of Chaos and Joy

A whole bunch of nothing and sometimes something.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

I don't Scrapbook

and this is why: I would never be "done" and I would be hopelessly behind, and I certainly do not need one more thing in my life that is forever unfinished. I mean, I still have weekly dreams that I am in college, it's the end of a semester, and I've suddenly realized that I forgot to go to my 10 a.m. tuesday class for the last two months.

It seems that almost every scrapbooker frets that they are "way behind" in scrapbooking, which is no surprise, considering that moms who scrapbook about their life are too busy doing all the things recorded in their scrapbook to actually cut out pictures of it and paste it on a page with buttons and ric rac. sure, there are those Type-a's out there who are not behind; in fact, they have everything recorded up until yesterday, and they are pasted neatly and artistically to boot (or, better yet, digitally rendered). But I know just as many type-a's who would never even start a scrapbook in the first place. :-)

BUT.

I have this blog. and I am forever hopelessly behind with it.

And, well, I keep a blog for many of the very same reasons people keep a scrapbook. I want to show off pictures of my kids, I want to record (for my own memory) funny things my kids said or did. I want to put in words the thoughts and feelings I want to remember later, maybe because they were funny or poignant, or maybe because writing them down puts things in perspective. I like it as a creative outlet. But, deep down, I just want to put my life on a page, mostly for my own reading and reflection. I want to share it with other people, for sure, but I also want to see the page evolve over the years as life twists and turns and winds its own unique little path. And, like life, it's supposed to be unfinished. And sometimes I'm a little behind on life. and that's okay! Somehow I'll make it to that elusive Tuesday 10 a.m. class and I'll cram for a few days and get caught up and squeak by on the final, and then I'll realize that I had a 1 p.m. Wednesday class, too, and that class actually ended last year and I totally forgot to go.

But, somehow I will still manage to graduate life on earth someday, and what will be left behind is this little snippet of a messy, disorganized, forever-behind housewife's life, and it will be perfect. So, kudos to all you scrapbookers out there with all your works-in-progress. I might not glue things on pages, but like you, I get to see the beauty of life on a page, and I'm not going to feel guilty about being behind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

my blog is definitely my scrapbook!

6:21 PM  
Blogger kristanlynn @ adelynSTONE said...

i found your blog thru Enjoying the Small things.

i think we all as bloggers struggle to find the time to write with the chaos of daily life!

hoping you get back your "scrapbooking" soon =)

-KristanLynn @ adelynSTONE
http://www.kristanlynn.blogspot.com

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home