Random Tales of Chaos and Joy

A whole bunch of nothing and sometimes something.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Well...

Today is not off to a great start. I stuck to the "schedule" all day yesterday, but last night it all went down the drain. I had a raging headache (which is still continuing, ugh) and was so exhausted, I just couldn't fight it. Cole wanted to nurse every hour, and rather than walking him around or otherwise distracting him from the breast, which I had absolutely NO energy to pull off, I just kept him in bed with me and nursed, half-asleep. I did pull the bassinet next to my bed, but that only lasted a couple minutes each time I put him in it, and then he would cry, so I took him out so my husband wouldn't have to listen to it all night. So...any advice? Janet? Megan? Thankfully, Cole does not seem to be "colicky." He still cries very rarely. But he grunts all night long. The appropriate term for his wakeful time (which is typically from 3-6 a.m., blah) is the Grunting Hour.

My headache is really awful right now, so I'm just not feeling very positive right now.

I did get a little laugh yesterday. I was loading my kids in the car to go visit a friend, and out of nowhere, Audrey says, "Don't worry, Mom, you'll survive!" I chuckled and said, "well, thank you Audrey...I am not doing very well right now." And she said, "well that's because you have a big tummy! And your butt is really wide!"

If you can believe it, I thought it was funny enough that I actually did feel better!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's still pretty little. I wouldn't panic yet. He'll start to get "in sync" and more regular around 6 weeks old, I think.

Since Evan is still in our room, I've never been able to let him cry during the night because I don't want him waking up hubby. When we did CIO at 4.5mo, I did it with daytime naps and bedtime in mind, not with the intent of not responding to him at night. He dropped the night feedings himself graduatlly and now goes 12 hours regularly. I don't think there's a problem with letting him nurse all night, especially at this young age. I'd focus more on the daytime routine at this point. Get all the rest you all can get at night, but try to have a set "wake time" for him in the morning and start the "scheduled" feedings from that point. Expect him to want to eat every 2-3 hours during the day (maybe cluster feeding in the evening) like breastfed babies need to do. With other kids to take care of, it's not as if you're going to whip out your boob and nurse him every 15 minutes all day anyway.

Does he like the swing? I used the swing almost exclusively for naps the first four months. And Evan slept in the swing quite a few nights, sometimes with me letting it run all night, when I really needed to sleep. I'd swaddle him and just let the swing go, because he'd sleep a good 4-5 hours in a row that way.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Lots of great advice, Megan. I do feel better already! Actually, I find the couch quite comfy and he does love the swing (he's in it now!)...and I could play my white noise machine in there.

I appreciate your input!

sally

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. That Audrey is a hoot, if a little off - you look great!

Also, I agree that scheduling during the day is a great goal, and I believe will automatically influence the nighttime, eventually. Best of luck.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home